Packed with protein and fibre, this Moroccan dip tastes a bit like hummus but instead is made from dried broad beans (or fava beans) and is served warm. It’s a delicious snack to be served with vegetable sticks or warm wholemeal pitta bread.
This recipe is from our Eat Move Learn programme helping kids to eat healthily and stay active. You can see all of our recipes suitable for young cooks here.
- 1 x 400g can broad beans (canned in water with no added salt), drained
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon mild paprika
- 10 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Put the broad beans, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice in a food processor and blend them well until combined.
- Being careful of the blade from the food processor, transfer the mixture to a saucepan and stir in the water, cumin and paprika.
- Over a medium heat, heat the dip in the saucepan for 3–5 minutes. Serve warm with warm pitta breads.
Substitute the broad beans for chickpeas and voila, you have hummus! No need to heat hummus up