- 500ml reduced-salt vegetable stock (made with 1 stock cube)
- 50g wholegrain brown rice
- 50g small broccoli florets
- 50g small cauliflower florets
- 1 small carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 x 227g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 5g parmesan cheese, grated
- 40 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- In a large saucepan, bring the vegetable stock to the boil. Stir in the brown rice. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 25 minutes. At the end of the cooking time, skim off any froth from the surface of the stock.
- Add the vegetables, tomatoes, basil, oregano and cumin, and simmer for about 10 minutes, until the vegetables and rice are tender. Season to taste with black pepper.
- Ladle the soup into two bowls, sprinkle with grated cheese and serve.
Brown rice is an unrefined grain with a nutty flavour. It is rich in selenium, B vitamins and fibre