- 30g reduced-fat spread
- 30g caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs, lightly whisked
- 90g wholemeal plain flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 cooking apples, peeled, cored and grated
- 60g sultanas
- 3 tablespoons skimmed milk
- 90 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Fan 160ºC.
- Lightly grease a deep-sided 20cm square cake tin, or similar, with a small amount of reduced-fat spread.
- Cream together the remaining reduced-fat spread and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the eggs, flour, baking powder and mixed spice. Mix well.
- Mix in the grated apples, sultanas and milk.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and place in the oven for 50–60 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Allow to cool, then cut into nine squares before serving.
Try a mixture of different spices and dried fruit to change the flavour and texture. You could also try grated pear instead of apple.