- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 225g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 225g plain flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 55 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
- Mix the milk and lemon juice, and leave to stand for 5 minutes to sour the milk.
- Preheat the oven to 230°C/Fan 210°C.
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Then add the soured milk – a little at a time – mixing continuously to make a firm dough.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured baking tray, and pat into a dome-shape. There is no need to knead. Using the handle of a wooden spoon, press a deep cross in to the top of the dough.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 200°C/Fan 180°C and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool before slicing (65g per slice).
We have lots of healthy soup recipes that work so well with this filling bread