- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- ½ teaspoon of each of ground cumin, turmeric, ginger and
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder, or to taste
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped in to bit-sized cubes (2.5cm)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped in to bit-sized cubes (2.5cm)
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and chopped in to bit-sized cubes (2.5cm)
- 1 x 210g can chickpeas, drained
- 1 x 227g can chopped tomatoes
- 200ml reduced-salt vegetable stock
- Small handful fresh coriander, chopped
- 65 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Heat the oil in a casserole dish or heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic; and stir continuously for about five minutes or until the onion starts to soften. Then add the spices and the chilli, and mix thoroughly.
- Place the vegetables into the pan, then add the chickpeas, tomatoes and the stock; and stir.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pan and leave to simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add the coriander and allow to simmer for a further 20 minutes, or until the liquid has significantly reduced and the vegetables are tender.
Use up leftovers in this dish by adding any leftover cooked meat or poultry at the last step. This is a great way to add extra protein to your meal