- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 15g fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 40 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Warm the oil in a large frying pan and gently cook the onion and peppers for 10 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic, chilli flakes and tomato puree, stirring for 1 minute. Then add the chopped tomatoes. Bring to the boil then simmer. Season with black pepper.
- Make four indentations in the sauce and crack an egg into each. Spread the egg whites into the sauce slightly but don’t burst the yolks.
- Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until the egg whites are cooked but the yolks are still runny.
- Serve garnished with coriander.
Experiment with different flavours by adding a sprinkle of paprika or cumin