- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 160g frozen pepper, thawed, or ½ fresh green pepper and ½ fresh red pepper, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 x 400g can mixed beans or pulses in water, drained
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 198g can salt-free sweetcorn, drained, or 160g frozen sweetcorn, thawed
- 200ml water
- 25 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Warm the oil in a large non-stick saucepan over a medium-high heat. Cook the onion until it starts to soften, then add the pepper, garlic, chilli powder (optional), cumin and black pepper and stir for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the mixed beans or pulses, tomatoes and sweetcorn and stir. Then add the water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat; cover the pan and leave to simmer for 20 minutes. Add more water if required.
- Remove from the heat and serve.
Try this easy vegetarian recipe with a spoonful of low-fat natural yoghurt or grated reduced-fat Cheddar cheese. If you make more than you need, freeze the leftovers as individual portions for a quick and healthy meal at a later date. Use within 1 month.
Serve with steamed brown rice or a baked potato. For a lighter meal, spoon a smaller portion into a warmed wholemeal pitta bread pocket, with shredded lettuce.