- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and diced
- ½–1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Small piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 250g split red lentils, rinsed
- 900ml boiling water
- Small handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 50 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a low heat and cook the onion for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the spices, garlic, chilli and ginger and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes, until they begin to break down.
- Add the lentils and boiling water to the pan. Bring to the boil, skimming off any froth with a spoon. Reduce heat and simmer for 25–30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
- Mix in most of the coriander and season with black pepper.
- Divide among four bowls and garnish with the remaining coriander.
Depending on your preference, you can add more or less water in step 2