- 30g dark chocolate (at least 70%), broken into small pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 50ml (70g) carob fruit syrup
- 1 ripe medium-sized banana, thoroughly mashed
- 1 ripe, medium-sized avocado, thoroughly mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 60g cocoa
- 65g plain flour (wholemeal preferably)
- 1 heaped teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 35 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
- Less than 1
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC / Fan 180ºC.
- Line a 20x20cm baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl – either in the microwave or over a pan of gently simmering water, making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs for about 5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Pour in the syrup and melted chocolate and beat until combined. Then stir in the mashed banana and avocado, and vanilla extract.
- Sieve the cocoa, flour and bicarbonate of soda into the chocolate and fold together.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tray and level it off with a spatula. Bake for 15–20 minutes – check it is cooked through by spiking with a sharp knife and checking it if remains clean. Cool completely and cut into 12 squares.
These make a delicious afternoon treat with a cup of tea, or dessert when served with low-fat Greek yoghurt and berries