- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 250g butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and chopped
- 500ml boiling water or vegetable water
- 1 reduced-salt vegetable stock cube
- 30g dried red lentils, rinsed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 70 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan on a medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring, until transparent. Then add the chopped carrot and butternut squash and sauté for 2–3 minutes.
- Add the water or vegetable water, stock cube, red lentils and some black pepper and stir. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the vegetables and lentils are tender.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before blending with a hand blender or food processor (be careful as the soup stays hot for a long time).
- Serve with a sprinkling of chopped parsley and a chunk of wholemeal bread or a warmed wholemeal pitta.