When it comes to making casseroles, it is easy to opt for the same ingredients every time. Creating this recipe made me try something new – turkey instead of chicken, squash instead of potatoes, plus barley for some healthy wholegrain. It worked so well, I wanted to share it with you.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 240g pearl barley, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 550ml reduced-salt chicken stock (made with 1 stock cube)
- 1 butternut squash peeled, deseeded, and cut into bite-size cubes
- 450g cooked or leftover turkey breast, cubed
- 60 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Warm the oil in a non-stick pan and cook the pepper and onion for 2 minutes. Add the barley, sage and black pepper; and stir well.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash and continue to simmer for 10 minutes. Then add the turkey and simmer for a further 5 minutes, or until the squash is tender. Add water if required.
- Serve with a side of steamed green vegetables.
This recipe is great for using up leftover turkey or chicken