- 200g brown rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons mild chilli powder (optional)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger root
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 2 x 130g turkey fillets, diced, skin removed
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas, drained
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 250g low-fat natural yoghurt
- 40 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Cook the brown rice according to the pack instructions.
- Add the oil into a thick-based saucepan and put on a medium heat. Add all the spices and gently cook for 3 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Add the chopped onion and cook for 3–4 minutes, before adding the garlic and cooking for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped turkey and cook for 5 minutes, stirring all the time so that the turkey gets well coated with the spice mixture.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and chickpeas, bring to simmering point and cook, uncovered, for a further 7–8 minutes until the turkey is cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- Remove from the heat, allow to cool slightly and then taste the sauce. Season with black pepper if necessary, then swirl the natural yoghurt into the sauce, without over mixing.
- Drain the rice and divide between four serving plates. Spoon the curry on top and serve.
Get an extra 5 A DAY portion by serving this with a fresh green salad or okra, broccoli or peas