- 1 x 425g can pineapple chunks in juice
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1 teaspoon five spice
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 red pepper, cut into strips
- 4–6 chicken thighs, skinless and boneless, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2.5cm root ginger, peeled and finely sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 25 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Drain the juice from the pineapple into a bowl. To a separate bowl, add the cornflour and 1 tablespoon of the pineapple juice, and mix to form a paste. Add a further 5 tablespoons of the juice and stir until the paste has dissolved. Then add the soy sauce, vinegar, tomato purée, five spice and chilli flakes, and mix thoroughly.
- Warm the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Cook the onion and peppers for 2–3 minutes. Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides.
- Add the pineapple chunks, garlic, ginger and black pepper to the frying pan, and stir for 1 minute.
- Mix the sauce and pour into the frying pan. Stir thoroughly, coating all the ingredients in the sauce. Bring to boil and reduce the temperature. Allow to simmer – stirring occasionally – for about 5 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
Serving suggestion: Serve with steamed brown basmati rice or our healthier egg fried rice.
Instead of chicken, try prawns or tofu in this recipe