- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 200g lean minced beef
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- Half a butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut in to 1cm cubes
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 400g wholewheat spaghetti
- 50 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan on a medium-high heat, add the onion and stir until lightly brown, then add the garlic and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the mince to the pan and brown lightly, stirring all the time.
- Add the tomatoes, butternut squash, carrots, mixed herbs and season with black pepper.
- Bring the mixture up to simmering point, cover and simmer for 40 minutes, until the meat is cooked and the butternut squash has softened.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the packet.
- Serve the sauce over a bed of spaghetti.
This family favourite includes vegetables as part of the bolognese sauce to increase 5 A DAY portions