- 1 tablespoon rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 1 small carrot, finely diced
- 1 small fennel bulb, finely diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2–3 cloves garlic (or less, according to taste), finely diced
- 40g mushrooms, chopped
- 200g lean minced turkey
- 30g dried lentils (green, red or puy), rinsed
- 500g tomatoes, diced
- 150g wholewheat spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon chives
- 85 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, then add the onion and stir until lightly brown, then add the garlic and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the vegetables (except the tomatoes) and the mince and cook for 8 minutes on a medium heat.
- Add the lentils and then the chopped tomatoes.
- Place a lid on the pan and simmer for 30–50 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked and the sauce is at your desired consistency. The texture should be fairly thick.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling water with a little olive oil to help stop the pasta sticking together.
- Serve sprinkled liberally with finely cut chives.
The secret to successfully replacing the mince with vegetables is to cut them into small cubes so the texture replicates mince