- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely diced
- Large handful fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- 1.6kg whole chicken
- 1 lemon, halved
- Large handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 160g baby leeks
- 300g baby carrots
- 250g fennel, roughly chopped
- 500g new potatoes
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 500ml boiling water
- 105 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Fan 160ºC.
- Mix together the oil, garlic and tarragon. Loosen the skin from the neck of the chicken and work the oil mixture under the skin and rub over the breast. Tuck the lemon halves inside the bird cavity. Transfer to the oven and roast on the middle shelf for 45 minutes.
- Carefully arrange the leeks, carrot and fennel around the chicken and coat with the juices. Return to the oven for another 30–45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and the juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of water to the boil, and cook the new potatoes for 20 minutes or until softened. Drain and transfer to a warmed serving bowl.
- Lift the chicken out. Leave on a board and cover with foil to rest. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a warmed serving bowl.
- Place the tin over a medium heat, stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the water and bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 3 minutes or until thickened. Strain and serve the gravy alongside the chicken, vegetables and new potatoes. Before carving the chicken, remove the skin to reduce the amount of fat in the meal.
Raring to try one of our recipes? We’d love to see a photo of what you cook, or get your feedback! Email us on email@example.com.
Keep chicken on the bone for as long as possible, shredding meat only when you’re ready to use it, to prevent it drying out