- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 2cm fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1 spring onion, cut into 3cm pieces
- ½ red pepper, sliced
- ½ green pepper, sliced
- 8 mangetout
- 4 mushrooms, wiped and sliced
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 150g noodles (use wholewheat if available)
- 150g cooked, peeled prawns
- 25 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Heat the two oils in a heavy-bottomed frying pan or wok, add the onion and stir until lightly brown, then add the garlic and ginger and cook for a further minute.
- Add the rest of the vegetables to the pan, stirring all the time, and cook for 3–4 minutes. Then add the allspice, sugar and soy sauce.
- Prepare the noodles according to the instructions on the packet. Drain and add to the wok, coating with the sauce.
- Stir in the prawns, heat through, then serve on a warmed plate and eat immediately.
Stir-fries make quick, easy and versatile meals. You can use thinly sliced lean meat, fish or tofu or, alternatively, increase the amount and variety of vegetables and go for a veggie option for a change.