- For the fruit compote:
- 70ml apple juice
- 30ml water
- Pinch grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 50g dried fruit (eg prunes, apricots, pears, apples, raisins), diced if necessary
- 1 cooking apple, peeled, cored and diced
- ¼ lemon, zest only, finely grated
- For the porridge:
- 80g quick-cook or rolled porridge oats
- 225ml skimmed milk
- 225ml water
- 20 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- In a pan, warm the apple juice and water with the nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves.
- Add the dried fruit, apple and lemon zest and simmer gently for about 20 minutes, or until the fruit is soft. Carefully remove the cloves.
- Meanwhile, mix the oats, skimmed milk and water in a separate, heavy-based pan and gently bring to the boil, stirring frequently.
- Simmer the porridge for about 5 minutes until the desired consistency is reached. Add more water if necessary.
- Serve the porridge topped with fruit compote.
To save time, prepare the fruit compote in advance, store in the fridge and use hot or cold the following day