- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 600ml reduced-salt vegetable stock, made with 1 stock cube
- Large handful fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 2 slices wholemeal bread, toasted
- Small handful black olives, to serve (optional)
- 20 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat and add the onion, garlic, red peppers and cucumber, adding a splash of water if needed. Cook for about 10 minutes until the vegetables have gently softened.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, stock and most of the basil to the pan and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Tear the toast into large pieces and add to the pan just before blending until smooth (you may need to do this in batches).
- Return the soup to the pan and reheat, if necessary.
- Season with pepper, divide between four bowls and garnish with the remaining basil and olives before serving.
If you’re making this soup ahead of time or freezing it, don’t add the toasted bread until you’re ready to serve