- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 450ml reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 150ml water
- 1 x 410g can chickpeas in water, drained
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspon turmeric
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Juice ½ lemon
- Handful coriander, chopped
- 50 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Warm the oil in a large saucepan over a medium high heat. Cook the onion and celery until they start to soften, then add the carrot, garlic and cumin and cook for a further minute, stirring continuously.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, water, chickpeas, cinnamon, turmeric and black pepper and mix thoroughly. Bring the mixture to the boil and then reduce the heat. Cover the pan and leave to simmer for about 30–40 minutes, until the chickpeas and vegetables are tender.
- Add the lemon juice and coriander and stir through. Serve as it is or roughly blend for a smoother soup. If you make more vegetable soup than you need, freeze the leftovers as individual portions for a quick and healthy meal at a later date – use within 1 month.
Serving suggestion: This soup is delicious with toasted wholemeal pitta bread.
For more of a Moroccan flavour, add 3–4 chopped dried apricots or dates. You could also swap the lemon juice for finely sliced preserved lemon peel