This recipe has been designed by Sarah Drabble. It is taken from Eat Well During Cancer, our booklet helping you to cope with the side-effects of cancer.
- 100g wholewheat spaghetti
- Spray oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 courgettes, diced
- 2 large carrots, washed and diced
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 reduced-salt vegetable stock cube, dissolved into 500ml hot water
- ½ teaspoon dried, mixed herbs
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 x 410g can cannellini beans, drained
- 100g kale or savoy cabbage, finely shredded
- 40 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Cook the pasta as instructed, until al dente (cooked but still has a bite). Drain, rinse in cold water and set aside until needed.
- Coat a large non-stick saucepan in spray oil and place over a medium heat to warm. Add the onion and cook for 3–4 minutes until it begins to soften. Then add the courgette and carrot; and cook for a further 3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil. Reduce the temperature, cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Add the pasta and continue cooking for 2–3 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat and serve.
If you’re struggling to maintain your weight, use more oil when cooking the vegetables and stir in creme fraiche before serving