Enjoy the flavours of the Mediterranean with this ratatouille. I love how versatile this dish is – it's great on its own or served with fish, chicken or potatoes for a more substantial meal. It's packed full of colourful vegetables containing vitamins, antioxidants and fibre.
- 1 small aubergine, cut into batons
- 2 medium courgettes, cut into batons
- 1 red pepper, cut into batons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- Bunch fresh basil
- 1 x 227g can chopped tomatoes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 20 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Heat a thick-bottomed frying pan and dry fry the aubergine pieces on a high heat so they toast on each side. Remove from the pan and put to one side. Repeat with the courgette and pepper batons.
- Heat the oil in the pan, then add the onion and sauté for a few minutes. Add the garlic, followed by the vinegar, sugar and half the basil. Add the tomatoes, stir and bring to simmering point.
- Return the courgettes, peppers and aubergine to the pan and season with black pepper. Cook for a further 5 minutes, then serve topped with the remaining shredded basil.
Turn this side dish into a main meal by serving with baked sweet potato and oven-baked fish; or chicken breast