- 1 teaspoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 small parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 250ml reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Sprinkle of dried thyme
- 30g red lentils, rinsed
- 50 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan. Add the chopped onion and cook slowly until softened then add the carrot and parsnip and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften (about 2 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes, stock, bay leaf and thyme and cook, stirring well, until heated through.
- Stir in the lentils and cover and cook on a medium-low heat until the vegetables and lentils are softened, but still hold their shape – roughly half an hour.
- Remove bay leaf, ladle into two bowls and serve.
When the soup is nearly cooked, stir in some fresh spinach leaves or chopped green cabbage for extra colour, flavour and texture