- 1 reduced-salt chicken stock cube
- 1 litre hot water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced (raw or pre-cooked leftovers)
- 200g new potatoes (quartered) or larger/baking potatoes (diced) (raw or pre-cooked leftovers)
- 200g green vegetables, diced (raw or pre-cooked leftovers)
- 200g cooked chicken or turkey, diced
- Fresh or dried thyme or sage
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 200g frozen peas (optional – instead of fresh or leftover greens)
- 40 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Dissolve the stock cube in the hot water.
- Place a large saucepan on the hob, over a medium heat. Heat the oil, add the onion and stir until soft and translucent.
- Add the stock. Then add the carrots and potato if raw. Bring the stock to boil, and then reduce the heat, leaving to simmer for 5 minutes. If you are using pre-cooked carrots and potatoes, bring the stock to boil and move straight to the next stage.
- Add any raw green vegetables and leave to simmer for a further 5–10 minutes, until the vegetables are soft but not fully cooked.
- Add the cooked chicken or turkey, herbs and pepper, pre-cooked carrots and potatoes (if using) and frozen peas (again, if using). Bring the mixture back to the boil and reduce to simmer for 5 minutes.
- If you are using pre-cooked green vegetables, add them for the last few minutes of cooking to heat through.
If you don’t have any leftover potatoes, pearl barley or lentils work just as well, but you will need to check the suggested cooking times and adjust this recipe.
Sweet potato or butternut squash can also be used instead of potato