- 100g potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 small leek, trimmed, washed and chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons semi-skimmed milk
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 15 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
- Boil the potato cubes in a pan of water for 5 minutes, then add the leek and cook for a further 3 minutes, until just tender. Drain well.
- Beat together the eggs, milk and chives.
- Heat the oil in a 20cm non-stick frying pan and arrange the leek and potato over the base. Pour the egg mixture over the top and cook over a medium heat until the edges of the egg mixture start to set.
- Pre-heat the grill to a medium heat. Place the pan under the grill to set and finish cooking the top of the omelette. If possible use a pan with a metal handle, but remember this will get hot under the grill! If you don’t have a metal handled pan, wrap the pan handle with several layers of tin foil. Don’t forget to use an oven glove.
- Remove from under the grill and leave to stand for a minute before carefully turning out on to a warmed serving plate and cutting into wedges to serve.
This recipe is great for using up leftover cooked potato – just chop into cubes and add straight into the frying pan. Similarly, it is also a great way of using vegetables you may have left over from earlier meals.