This recipe has been designed by Sarah Drabble. It is taken from Eat Well During Cancer, our booklet helping you to cope with the side-effects of cancer.
- 2 x 400g can plum tomatoes
- 1–2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and diced
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 100g wholemeal bread, toasted, soaked in water for 5 minutes
- 1–2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 15 minutes (plus 1 hour chilling time)
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Place the tomatoes, garlic, onion, peppers, cucumber, cumin and olive oil in a food processor; and blend.
- Squeeze as much water as possible out of the bread, tear into small pieces and add to the mixture in the food processor. Blend vigorously until smooth.
- Add the vinegar and pepper.
- Pass the soup through a fine sieve to remove any seeds (optional). Cover and refrigerate. Serve when chilled.
To increase the protein and calories, add 400g of chickpeas or beans, such as butter or cannellini (drained), at step 1