- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 leeks, finely sliced
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 200g pearl barley
- 500ml reduced-salt chicken stock
- 500ml boiling water
- 3 chicken breasts, roughly chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 45 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat and cook the carrot, leek and celery for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Add the garlic, rosemary and bay leaf and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the pearl barley and cook for a further minute.
- Stir in the stock and boiling water. Bring to the boil, add the chicken, then cover the pan and simmer for 25–30 minutes until the barley is tender and the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the bay leaf. Add some freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately.
This dish works with a variety of vegetables including cabbage, peas or butternut squash – whatever you have in the fridge or is in season!