- 120g dried wholewheat penne
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ medium onion, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 160g can tuna in spring water, drained and flaked
- Handful fresh basil, chopped
- 160g fine green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 x 198g can salt-free sweetcorn, drained (or 160g frozen sweetcorn)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 20g reduced-fat mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 30g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 160g mixed salad leaves
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 35 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC/Fan 170ºC.
- Cook the pasta in boiling water according to the instructions on the packet, without adding salt. When cooked, drain and cover.
- Warm 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Cook the onion until it starts to soften. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Then add the tomatoes, tuna, basil and vegetables; and stir thoroughly. Season with black pepper. When the tomatoes start to simmer, add the cooked pasta, stir through and transfer to an ovenproof dish.
- Mix the grated cheese, breadcrumbs and oregano, and sprinkle evenly over the pasta. Place in the oven to bake for around 15 minutes, or until the top is golden.
- Spoon the pasta bake onto two plates, and add half of the salad leaves to each plate. Mix the balsamic vinegar with the remaining olive oil, drizzle over the salad, and serve.
While the tomatoes in this recipe count as more than one of your 5 A DAY, consuming a variety of vegetables and fruit is important