- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½–1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 2 x 380g cans black beans, drained
- 500ml reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 20 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Heat the oil in a large pan and gently cook the onion and sweet potato for 10 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic, cumin and most of the chilli and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the beans, stock and 500ml water. Bring to the boil then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Blend the soup until fairly smooth but retaining some texture (do this in batches if needed).
- Return soup to the pan, stir through most of the sour cream and season with black pepper. Reheat if needed.
- Divide soup among four warmed soup bowls and serve topped with the rest of the sour cream and chilli.
You can make the soup up to two days in advance but without the sour cream. When ready to serve, heat up the soup and stir through sour cream before serving.