- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 400g extra lean braising beef, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 200g carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 200g parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
- 200g sweet potato, cleaned and roughly chopped
- 500ml reduced-salt beef stock
- 500ml hot water
- 2 hours 30 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the beef for 5 minutes, until browned. Remove the beef with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the onion to the saucepan and cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic, thyme and vegetables to the pan and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Add the beef, stock and water to the pan and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper and serve.
You can also make this recipe in a slow cooker. Add the browned beef (see step 1) and the remaining ingredients – excluding the 500ml of water (the stock will be enough liquid) – to your slow cooker, stir and cover. Cook for around 8 hours on low. To thicken, add a tablespoon of cornflour dissolved in a small amount of cold water 30–60 minutes before the end of cooking.