Chilli is my dad’s favourite dish and, despite being a meat-eater, even he enjoys my meat-free chilli, with steamed rice or a baked sweet potato. As well as being packed with flavour, it's very convenient as you can make a big batch and freeze individual portions for a quick meal at a later date.
- Spray oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 1 pepper, deseeded and diced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder
- ¼ −½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 x 400g can mixed beans (in water), drained and rinsed
- 1 x 198g can sweetcorn (salt-free), drained, or 160g frozen sweetcorn
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 25 minutes
- 259 Kcal
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Coat a large, non-stick saucepan with spray oil and place over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add the pepper, cumin, chilli powder and smoked paprika, and stir for another 2−3 minutes, until the peppers start to soften.
- Add the beans, sweetcorn and chopped tomatoes, and mix thoroughly. Allow to simmer for about 15−20 minutes, reducing the heat if needed.
- Serve immediately, with wholegrain rice or a baked sweet potato.
Extra portions can be stored in the fridge (eat within 5 days) or freezer (eat within a month)