- 120g wholemeal flour
- 150g plain flour
- 50g bran flakes, crushed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 walnuts, chopped
- 65g dates, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 50g brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 250ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 medium apple (100g), peeled and grated
- 30 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
- Less than 1
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC/Fan 170ºC.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, bran flakes, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and walnuts. Stir in the dates.
- In another bowl, beat the egg with the sugar and oil until well mixed, then stir in the milk and apple.
- Pour into the flour mixture and stir just enough to moisten, being careful not to over-mix.
- Spoon into non-stick or paper-lined medium muffin tins, filling almost to the top.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean and the tops are golden in colour.
Our muffins are much healthier than many muffins available on the high street, which often each have more than 400 calories and 20g of fat