- 150g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 45g caster sugar
- 35g ground almonds
- 15g flaked almonds
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules, dissolved in 2 teaspoons boiling water, cooled
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 75 minutes
- 5 A DAY:
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and almonds in a bowl. Add the coffee, egg and egg white and mix well to form a dough.
- Lightly knead the dough on a floured work surface until smooth, then shape into a log measuring about 10cm x 15cm x 2cm and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes, then take out of the oven and turn the oven down to 150°C/Fan 130°C.
- When the log has cooled slightly, carefully cut into slices about 1cm thick using a serrated knife.
- Place slices on the baking tray and return to the oven to bake for approximately 30 minutes, turning halfway through, until crisp and dry.
Biscotti are a great low-calorie alternative to baking cookies. You can use other nuts in this recipe too – hazelnuts or pecans work well.