Roasted red pepper houmous
Sweet red pepper adds a touch of vibrancy to this popular dip.
Preparation and cooking time: 10 minutes
Ingredients (serves 12)
- 100g roasted red peppers, roughly chopped
- 410g/16oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 25g/1oz tahini (sesame paste)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly milled black pepper
- In a food processor or blender (or simply using a fork) combine all the ingredients except the black pepper. Process the mixture until smooth.
- Season to taste with pepper and serve chilled or at room temperature with toasted wholemeal pitta wedges and a selection of crudités.
Chickpeas are a great store cupboard standby. They are a vegetarian source of protein and, along with other beans and pulses, can count as one of your 5 A DAY portions of fruit and vegetables (but only one a day, no matter how much you eat).