Crispy stuffed mushrooms
Substitute steak for these delightfully garlicy bites.
- Calories: 153kcal
- Fat: 5.3g
- Sugar: 5.4g
- Salt: 0.5g
- 5 A DAY: 1.5
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 4 large flat mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 40g/1½oz wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons parmesan, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Remove and finely chop the stalks from the mushrooms. Heat the oil in a small frying pan and gently fry the spring onions and the chopped stalks for three minutes. Add the garlic and fry for a further minute. Stir in the breadcrumbs and parsley. Season with black pepper.
- Lay the mushrooms on a non-stick baking tray, gill side up. Arrange slices of tomato on the mushrooms. Spoon the breadcrumb stuffing on top of the tomatoes and press down lightly.
- Lay a piece of foil loosely over the top of the mushrooms to prevent the stuffing from browning too quickly and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, discard the foil, and sprinkle the parmesan over the mushrooms. Return to the oven and cook for another 10–15 minutes or until the topping is crisp and the mushrooms are tender but not soft. Serve with a large mixed salad.
Mushrooms are low in calories, fat and salt and make an excellent 5 A DAY choice. For a more substantial meal, place each mushroom on a small slice of rustic wholemeal bread, lightly brushed with olive oil, before placing it in the oven. The bread will become crisp and soak up any juices from the mushrooms.