Mincemeat and cranberry tartlets
The perfect low-calorie treat for Christmas parties.
Preparation and cooking time: 25 minutes
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 4 sheets of fresh or frozen filo pastry
- Brush of butter (15g/½oz)
- 50g/2oz raisins and sultanas
- 50g/2oz dried cranberries
- 100g/3½oz cooking apple, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon of golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon of hot water
- A sprinkle of caster or icing sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 160ºC/320ºF/Gas mark 3. Lightly butter the wells of a Yorkshire pudding tin.
- Mix the dried fruits and apple together in a bowl with the golden syrup and hot water. Leave to one side.
- Lightly dab some butter over a sheet of filo pastry and fold to form a rectangular shape three pastry layers thick. Cut into two roughly-equal 10cm squares.
- Place each square into a well of the Yorkshire pudding tin. Repeat with the remaining sheets, giving you eight pastry shells.
- Divide the fruit mixture evenly between the eight pastry shells. Crinkle the edges of the pastry up a little to hold the mixture in place.
- Bake in the oven for 7-8 minutes, until the pastry has crisped. Sprinkle with caster or icing sugar and serve warm or cold as preferred.
These are great as a party snack or dessert, and are a lower-fat alternative to regular mince pies.