Lentil cottage pie
By: WCRF UK
Preparation and cooking time:
5 A DAY: 5
- 800g/1Ib 12oz potatoes, quartered
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons low-fat spread
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
400g/16oz can chopped tomatoes
300ml/11fl oz reduced-salt vegetable stock
250ml/9fl oz water
2 tablespoons tomato purée
130g/4oz red lentils
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Boil the potatoes until tender and then drain. Mash in a large bowl with half of the spread. Add in the black pepper.
- Melt the remaining spread in a frying pan. Then cook the onion and garlic until they soften. Add the can of tomatoes (with juices), vegetable stock, water, purée, lentils and carrot.
- Bring to the boil. Then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Next, add the peas, Worcestershire sauce and parsley. Cook uncovered for just a few minutes.
- Spoon the lentil mixture into a shallow ovenproof dish. Spread the potato mash on top.
- Bake, uncovered, in a preheated oven at 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5 for 15-20 minutes. Leave the pie to stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.
While the tomatoes in this recipe do count as two and a half portions per serving of your 5 A DAY, it is worth remembering that consuming a variety of vegetables and fruits is important.