Spicy bean burgers
By: WCRF UK
Preparation and cooking time:
5 A DAY: 2
For the burgers
- 400g/14oz can mixed beans or kidney beans in chilli sauce
100g/3½oz sweetcorn, frozen or canned
1 tablespoon coriander, chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
1 medium egg, yolk only
30g/1oz wholegrain breadcrumbs
- 2 wholegrain rolls
2 lettuce leaves
1 tomato, sliced
- Drain the sauce from the chilli beans into a cup and keep to one side.
- Tip the beans into a mixing bowl and, using a large fork or hand blender, mash to form a rough paste. Mix in the sweetcorn, coriander and black pepper.
- Add the egg yolk and breadcrumbs, then use your hands to blend the ingredients so that they are mixed evenly. Shape into two burgers.
- Heat a griddle pan or non-stick frying pan. Cook the burgers until they are well griddled and hot all the way through.
- Using a slice, remove the burgers from the pan and set aside. Split the rolls and griddle them, add the burgers, drizzle 2 to 3 tablespoons of chilli sauce over the top of each burger, then add a lettuce leaf and sliced tomato. Serve immediately.
Reducing the amount of red meat you consume to below 500g (cooked weight) per week will reduce your risk of cancer.